Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce


 How lucky am I?   My man~ has a most wonderful tomato garden this year.  We have had plenty of tomatoes for salad all year.  We also made a tomato, feta salad, It was great.  Seems all the tomatoes are ripening all at once as the end of the season approaches.  I can’t let these delicious morsels go to waste.  Today is the day I try my hand at spaghetti sauce from scratch.  Yep, with real tomatoes from the garden, not a can!

First I cored the tomatoes, and cut a cross on the bottom (this step makes it easier to peel) then blanched them in batches of 6 for 30 seconds, immediately placing them into ice cold water for 30 seconds (this stops the cooking process).  The pees just fall right off. 


 It has been cooking for 3 hours at this point, and my house smells wonderful.  I can only imagine what Italy smells like.  ;) Well, the sauce is done, it is nice and thick, stand alone sauce.  It tastes really delicious.  The only problem is, I made it a little too spicy for the young ones.  I am sure will mellow a little when mixed with some pasta though.  I will freeze this into single dinner amounts, since I made so much.  I am planning on making raviolis and kielbasa with this sauce.  I hope it tastes delicious…..Wish me luck!



                       Started with these perfect tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, parsley, yellow pepper, onion, mushroom.  I sauteed the onion with garlic in a couple tablespoons of butter until the onions were clear.   Then added the tomatoes 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and began to simmer to reduce the liquid.  you can see the process in the pics.                              
In the beginning it looks like goulash
Half way there

It's ready, see it's a nice thick sauce now.


Bagged for freezer


RECIPE
2 Tbs butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion
*melt butter in saute' pan, add garlic, onions,and mushrooms saute' until onions
are clear.
2 oz green onion
1 oz fresh parsley
1/2 oz fresh basil
1/2 oz fresh oregeno
1 yellow pepper
*process until chopped, in food processor.
6 lbs prepared tomatoes
2tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
*Add all ingredients to pot and begin to simmer. Simmer sauce until liquid has condensed, to desired thickness. 



Have and excellent day, thanks for stopping by! 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, your comments brighten my day!