Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna

I really liked this.  I've never had eggplant before.  Why didn't anyone tell me it tastes like squash, with the texture of a mushroom?  My daughter however, did not like this, for the same reasons I did.  I found the original recipe online, I changed it so much I have decided to claim this recipe.  It is time consuming as most lasagna recipes are.  I think it was worth it.  I had it the next day for lunch.  I also fed it to my children that I watch.  It was about 1/2 that liked it.  I didn't tell them what was in it.  Just that is was lasagna.  We have a family of 5 usually, sometimes more sometimes less.  Only two of us are vegetarian.  To make this not so rough on me, I have decided to make our dinner the side dish and serve it with a traditional meat.  My husband and 2 other children had porkchops as their main dish.  I will let you know how this works out.

Have a great day.. Remember eat your veggies!




  • 1 tablespoons salt, or as needed
  • 627 grams eggplant, sliced
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 cup pasta sauce
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese, freshly sliced
  • 7 ounces ricotta cheese
  • 3 ounces olives, canned
 1.Slice Eggplant and sprinkle salt over eggplant slices.                                                   Let rest for 30 minutes and allow eggplant to release extra liquid.
 2.Whisk egg and water in a bowl. Measure bread crumbs into
 a separate shallow bowl. Dip eggplant slices into egg 
mixture and then press both sides into bread crumbs. 
Set aside.
3.Mix remaining egg and ricotta together, set aside. 
4.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat;
cook and stir onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in
hot oil until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove and set aside.  (this is where I sampled my first taste of
Eggplant.  YUM!)  
5.Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same frying pan over
medium heat. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the pan
and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Flip and cook other side until browned, about 3 minutes,
adding more olive oil as needed.
6.Spread 1/2 cup of tomato basil sauce in bottom of a
9x13 baking dish. Place a layer of cooked eggplant on
 top of pasta sauce. Cover eggplant layer with half of ricotta
mixture, then mushroom mixture. Repeat. Lay final layer of
 eggplant on top cover with 1/2 cup of sauce, mozzarella cheese,
and olives.


7.Cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 F for 35 - 40 minutes.  
Let rest 15 minutes, before serving.  








Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, your comments brighten my day!